The Jacques Avias pumping station supplies the entire Montpelliers community with fresh drinking water. Since 1982, tandem submersible motor pumps from the German pump manufacturer Pleuger Industries have been pumping 1,700 litres of drinking water per second from three well shafts to the surface. A fourth pump discharges 250 litres of water per second into the river Lez. After 30 years of operation, the Montpellier Water Board commissioned Pleuger Industries to replace two of the 20-ton and 10-metre-long twin units. Pleuger Industries was again awarded the contract for the project because, on the one hand, the uniformity of the original functional group was to be maintained and, on the other hand, the Pleuger brand was to ensure maximum reliability due to years of cooperation.
The new 32-inch centrifugal pumps are two-stage special designs of type QN362-1a + VNI22-150-6-6: The 590 kW water-cooled stainless steel motor with a power output is located below the hydraulics and supplies spring water from the underground cavern via a suction-pressure jacket. The drinking water flows through a single-stage grey cast iron pump hydraulic system into the connected pressure boosting system of the same type, which transports 3,500 m³/h of drinking water 36 metres upwards. The motor is operated via a frequency controller with a rated current of 1020 A.