Solid-body plastic AODD pumps for abrasive-handling applications
by Xavier Rasotto
Plastic AODD pumps are positive-displacement pumps that have a diaphragm in each of their two pumping chambers. These diaphragms are connected by a shaft so that when the compression stroke takes place in one chamber during the pumping process, the suction stroke takes place simultaneously in the other chamber. This results in efficient, reliable, cost-effective, repeatable operation when handling any number of abrasive liquids or compounds. Solid body plastic AODD pumps have many advantages for abrasive-handling. They do not require electricity, they are self-priming and can pump a wide range of abrasive media, from slurries to liquids with suspended solids.
- Pickling Baths
- Silicon Carbide Slurry
- Printing Inks
- Lime Slurry
- Ceramic Mass/Glaze
All E-Series pumps offer the user a solid design and most are constructed of polyethylene (PE), which offers excellent abrasion-resistance when used with slurries and other abrasive media. The E-Series pumps, thanks to their PE construction, have been shown to last seven times longer than pumps that are made with polypropylene—while having similar chemical-resistance characteristics—and be 1.6 times more durable than stainless-steel pumps. Solid PE also delivers better sealing, higher static weight, smoother operation and better torque retention than other popular materials of construction. For specific applications, E-Series pumps can also be constructed of PE conductive, PTFE and PTFE conductive. All of the pump’s cylinder valves are constructed with PTFE with the diaphragms (EPDM, PTFE/EPDM and NBR) and ball valves (EPDM, PTFE, NBR and stainless steel) available in a range of materials.
All of the housing parts on an E-Series pump are tightened to each other via housing bolts. However, instead of single bolts that press punctually against the housing, all of the bolts are tightened against a diaphragm-sized ring on each side of the pump. This results in a more even spreading of the housing-bolt force and an increase in permissible bolt torque, which enhances safety and reliability. An optimized flow pattern reduces the pump’s flow resistance, which results in increased efficiency and lower air consumption.
Other features found in E-Series pumps include:
- The patented maintenance- and lubrication-free PERSWING P® air-control system, which ensures accurate reversal of the main piston
- Internal Piston Diaphragm (IPD) technology
- Integral dampeners for constant flow with no need for additional piping
- ATEX conformity
- Variable port configurations
- No drives, rotating parts or shaft seals
- Easy startup
- Options include: a barrier chamber for leak prevention; drain system; stroke counting; diaphragm-monitoring system; and transport cart
Almatec offers its E-Series pumps in seven sizes, from 1/4” to 3”, with flow rates ranging from 15 to 800 lpm (4 to 210 gpm).
- Almatec: AODD pumps increase safety and flexibility
- Almatec: Flexible choice of product connections
- Quattroflow: Diaphragm Pumps for Biotech Applications
- Transfer of Dangerous Solvents
- AODD Pumps Ideal for Dangerous Chemicals